I’m pleased to announce that Anatomy of Innocence: Testimonies of the Wrongfully Convicted will be released March 28 and is now available for preorder. http://amzn.to/2mqogxE
Anatomy, which I co-edited with Laura Caldwell, tells the incredible true stories of 15 exonerees — innocent men and women — who were convicted of serious crimes and cast into the maw of a vast and deeply flawed American criminal justice system before eventually, miraculously being exonerated.
Each exoneree is paired with a high-profile mystery and thriller writer (including Lee Child, Sara Paretsky, Laurie King, S.J. Rozan, Brad Parks and others) to produce a unique collaboration. By partnering master storytellers with exonerees and their incredible narratives, and with reflections from Barry Scheck and Scott Turow, Anatomy of Innocence presents the tragedy of wrongful convictions like never before.
The book also includes a letter from playwright Arthur Miller, believed to be the first and only unpublished piece since his death.
Reviews have been generous. Kirkus Reviews called it “a unique collection of 15 wrongful conviction sagas bound to shake faith in the American criminal justice system.” Publishers Weekly wrote, “With these stories, the authors and editors provide a list of symptoms for an illness that is plaguing the justice system, bringing desperately needed awareness to the issues involved in wrongful convictions.”
Events for Anatomy include:
· March 29, Laura and I will be on Coast-to-Coast A.M., 1-3 am ET. Call-ins welcome!
· March 29, Barnes & Noble, Union Square, New York City, 7 pm. Panel featuring Laura, Lee Child, Barry Scheck and exoneree Kirk Bloodsworth.
· March 30: R.J. Julia Bookstore, in Madison, Conn., an hour-and-a-half outside Manhattan, 7 pm.
Featuring me, Laura, authors and exonerees.
· March 31: Loyola Law School, 25 E. Pearson, Chicago, 5-7 pm. Panel featuring Laura with Scott Turow, exoneree Antione Day, and Scott Ramirez, author of the book The Case for the Corporate Death Penalty.
· April 1: Centuries & Sleuths Bookstore, 7419 Madison St., Forest Park, IL, 2 pm. Featuring me, Laura, authors and exonerees.
· April 4: The Book Cellar, 4736 N Lincoln Ave., Chicago, 7 p.m. Featuring Laura, authors and exonerees.
· April 12: Read Between the Lynes, 111 E. Van Buren St., Woodstock, IL, 7 p.m. Featuring Laura, authors and exonerees.
· April 23: LA Times Festival of Books, 10:30 a.m. Panel on the justice system featuring me and other authors.
· May 25: Tattered Cover Book Store, 1628 16th St., Denver, 7 p.m. Featuring Laura, me, authors and exonerees.
· June 28: San Francisco Public Library, 100 Larkin St., 7 p.m. Featuring Laura, me, Laurie R. King, other authors and exonerees.
Proceeds from the book go to Life After Innocence to help people who were wrongfully convicted and eventually exonerated.
To learn more about the book and to preorder it, go to www.anatomyofinnocence.com.